Pregnancy Update: Month 8
i distinctly remember being 10 weeks pregnant, knowing i’d have roughly 30 weeks continuing gestation passed that. i remember wondering what it would feel like to be 30-something weeks pregnant and here i am, already. it’s about what i expected except for the movements going on inside of me.
they are so hard to explain if you have never felt them and it really is pretty amazing and pretty weird at the same time. i am quite grateful that while i wouldn’t necessarily describe my pregnancy as ‘easy and super fun,’ i do get to describe it as healthy. i do not take my health or our baby’s health for granted so let’s keep on trucking.
today: i’m 35 weeks pregnant and bavery is measuring anywhere from 19-22 inches long (probably on the long side thanks to giant parents). she is around 5.5 pounds! i am not going to give you my measurements.
- feeling her massive movements in my belly now (more about that below!)
- we have all of her necessities now (this means carseat, stroller, place to sleep)
- it’s been so fun imagine what she is going to look like with my husband!
- feeling quite solid in unlearning and relearning about birth and women. our bodies and our babies know exactly what to do and birth does not need to suck or be painful. it’s a beautiful and natural occurance that has been happening for thousands of years!
- getting henna and photographed by sarahkate butterworth! shoutout to my friend kate for letting me know she was seeking ‘pregnant models to henna!’ she made me feel so comfortable, beautiful and embrace my full belly. this was taken when i was 33.5 weeks
- OH! my amazing husband WON me my dream diaper bag thanks to a giveaway from camp patton and lily jade! can you believe it!? they are quite spendy but very high quality and i literally screamed and ran/waddled around our home when he told me! yes, i have used it already to carry my laptop – i mean the changing pad is perfect for put on a coffee shop table.
- we also celebrated a 7th honeymoon (a month and half early) in estes park!
- sleep has been exceeding difficult this month. i’m averaging about 3-4 hours a night and that makes everything else haaaard. this sleepy time tincture was recommended to me and i’d like to believe it’s helping.
- i have had a lot of aches in my hips and pelvis – but went to see a prenatal chiropractor last week and she readjusted and realigned – somewhat better now
- my energy appears to be on the steady decline (though my hunger is on a steady incline)
- at 31 weeks, she is process and perceiving signals from all 5 sense!
- at 32 weeks, her digestive system is all good to go!
- at 33 weeks, she is keeping her eyes open when awake and closed when sleeping!
- at 34 weeks, she is peeing about a pint a day (no wonder i go to the bathroom all the time – peeing for 2!)
- by 35 weeks – the uterus has expanded 1,000 times it’s original size!
- since she’s growing so fast the amount of amniotic fluid in her sac decreases so that’s why you can see body parts moving
- restless leg syndrome is still not my friend but my midwife recommended some magnesium + calcium and it seems to make it a little more bearable
- round ligament pain like whoa – ouch.
- swelling – because of the heat my fingers and feet swell pretty much daily
- my feet totally spread at week 31! suddenly i had to loosen my tennis shoes by like double! these are the only thing that are comfy and fit my feet – i wear them daily
- many many more braxton-hicks contractions (they actually started around week 20 for me but now getting stronger and more intense)
- shortness of breath almost always. she is taking up some serious room in my belly and that’s with me having a pretty long torso!
- well i officially have an ‘outie’ belly button but my husband assures me “it’s the cute kind”
- around week 32, i woke up with the first two joints in all of my fingers and also in my toes aching. it’s especially bad in the morning but thankfully usually loosens up
- i now groan basically every time i have to move my body – it’s involuntary
and now for the photo compilation where you can see me getting progressively more tired weekly…
i took the below photo right before bed last night and look at the difference! i generally take the photos in the morning so either i’m bloated or my belly expanded insanely in one week. no wonder i can’t breathe!
oh and getting up from a seated or lying down position.
chips and a milkshake. still can’t digest that much lactose so i’ve made a few “milkshakes” with soy ice cream, lactose free milk and delicious protein powder. slightly healthier so go me! the one good thing about being pregnant in the summer is access to lots of fresh fruit – i have been craving peaches, watermelon and strawberries!
update – over the weekend my friend kate and i went to get vegan milkshakes (still have no idea what was in it but i know it wasn’t dairy) and it. was. the best. i dubbed it as top three things i’ve put in my mouth this year. now i’m craving another one ever sense! we got them from watercourse foods – a vegan restaurant in denver.
she has moved from wiggles and squiggles to full on leg and arms whooshing across my belly. you can see it and it’s NUTS!
earlier this week i experienced my first pretty painful jab when she proceeded to shove her elbow at an angle from within. she left it like that for about 1 minute (in elbow-jabbing times, that feels like a lifetime). usually when she’s wiggly and moving i can touch that same area and she plays a little back and then moves away but not for elbow jab. she took her sweet time retracting that.
we went to the midwife last week and now she is currently in the perfect position for delivery! that means her head is down and she is facing back (anterior). when i went a few weeks ago, she was facing posterior so i have been using the exercises from spinningbabies.com. i am continuing with them to keep her in the correct position!
we could also feel the outline of her head at my pubic bone – so crazy cool! who is she?! what is she like?! does she like us squeezing her head?!
this month i experienced pretty bad round ligament pain, which basically means it hurts every time i take a step so my walks weren’t as frequent. thanks to those who participated in the prenatal yoga giveaway – yay! i have been trying to do that but i find my motivation to exercise has gone down.
- my husband, because we are in the middle of a 3 week stretch of craziness (but he comes home today for a few days)
- not bumping into things
LOOKING FORWARD TO
- my baby shower at the beginning of august! my sister and i are having a joint one so she can feel the love while she’s in town too! plus my bestie alison is coming out!
- my husband accomplishing his ironman the following day! he has been working so hard and i am very impressed and proud of him
- my in-laws officially moved here yesterday – YAY!
- the fact that our yas queen could arrive healthily between 37-42 (that’s a normal time for babies to be born – no induction needed unless baby or mama are at medical risk in between that range)
- starting 31 days of kindness on monday – join us!
want to not do whatever you are supposed to be doing and read about my earlier month progression? i have you covered: