Pregnancy Update: Month 5
i am so grateful for this community. i was prepared for some ‘interesting’ responses to why i’m choosing a midwife and birth center and everyone was so damn respectful and shared their own truths and i love it. thank you!
i’m shooting to deliver these updates more in real time and during my last week of that month so here we are! month 5 has been a good one but also a surreal one since it was during this month i actually looked pregnant (to others and myself).
i mentioned GI issues so it was not uncommon for my stomach to bloat up to the point of how big i was previously (no exaggeration). this month was the point where i felt like ‘whoa. look at my stomach! there is something in there and i’m not just bloated!’
i try to take these pictures at the same time around mid-morning after i’ve showered so hence the stringy hair.
- finding out we are having a little girl #yasqueen!
- putting together the videos of us telling our family + how we found out!
- watching bavery squirm around on the ultrasound for 45 minutes!
- meeting our midwives and going to the birth center!
- not flying to mexico next week for our friends’ wedding because of the zika virus (this is cassie’s wedding, our talented friend who takes our amazing photos!)
- my husband not being able to get home in between weekly trips due to another crazy spring snow storm hitting denver
- finding out we owed a ridiculous amount of taxes
- how quickly time is passing – i’m already halfway?!
- bavery is developing her 5 senses (hope she’s enjoying all the doritos i’m eating)
- the bones in baby’s legs and inner ears form first – now she can hear conversations!
- by 21 weeks, all of her eggs are formed! crazy
- at week 19, vernix (a slippery, white, fatty coating) formed on her skin so “she doesn’t pickle in the amniotic fluid” (i instantly thought of portlandia’s ‘we can pickle that!’)
- sometimes the palms of my hands turn red because of extra estrogen
- lower spine starts to curve backwards to keep me from falling forward
- dizziness is a bit better but still can’t do regular push-ups or things of that nature
- my body continues to pulsate and it’s super weird. my midwife says it’s because my veins are so full of blood. *shiver
- not sleeping great and it’s a lot less fun when no one is here to rub my back (and sugar refuses to learn how)
each day i wake up grateful not to be experiencing the intense aversions of the first trimester so right now i’m feeling pretty good about food. vegetables still sometimes gross me out so i just bought some V8 with mostly veggies in it to aid in this.
i don’t want indian or chinese food but i may eat thai. maaaybe.
fingers crossed that i might be slowly becoming lactose tolerant! i ate 3 piece of cheese the other day and didn’t feel horrible. eating mac-n-cheese still messes with me but i am having hope because I NEED REAL CHEESE AND ICE CREAM.
i can’t get enough nacho cheese doritos, either.
my cravings tend to be highly inspired by things i see. if i see a commercial for mexican food, i want it now. when we saw ‘the boss’ i immediately needed a brownie like whoa.
i can definitely feel more certain movements happening over here people! real talk: i am actually having some anxiety about the first time i feel a solid punch or a kick. i hate anticipation. i wish i could just chat with bavery, decide on a time that works for both of us and schedule when she was going to do kick or punch hard so i could be mentally prepared. ha!
she likes to move mostly at night when i’m laying on my side. my dad gave me the friendly reminder to “be sure to switch sides you lay on so she cooks evenly!”
i went on a hike with my friend kate and that was the best form of workout because it doesn’t feel like a workout (except in the beginning of a steep incline where i couldn’t talk at all). i like sneaky workouts like that so as soon as it’s nice again, more hiking please!
this is an unfiltered photo of glorious colorado party people!
BUT don’t move here because 2 days after this was a serious snow storm (seriously the housing prices are insane thanks to the influx of people finding out it’s so awesome here). this is a photo from my mom’s place, which is near where we hiked:
i am also trying out some prenatal yoga online (which i will tell you more about soon and you’ll get a chance to get a free membership!)
wall push-ups are my new friend!
- our friends that will be headed to mexico without us (we love you cassie + lyn!)
- my clear skin
- my workout pants fitting. i mean, they are stretchy – stretch more!
LOOKING FORWARD TO
- our babymoon at the beginning of may – we are going to HAWAII (since tulum, mexico was viciously ripped from us)!
- seeing my sister in mid-may!
- my husband’s birthday because we all know spouses benefit from the other’s birthday
missed the other updates? i gotchu.
– first trimester + how to relieve first trimester symptoms