Why I Like the 4th of July
initially i was going to simply post a photo of a flag and say ‘happy 4th of july.’ then i happened upon that trusty facebook and saw a post from a friend (hi marilyn!) and she had a list of why she likes this holiday! i was inspired so here is why i like the 4th of july:
- it is satisfying to see how many cheesy-yet-awesome american flag printed things one can wear
- this is one of the only holidays that doesn’t involve buying loads of unnecessary gifts for people
- it makes it feel like summer is officially here
- the smell of BBQs everywhere you go is comforting (unless you are a vegetarian)
- we get to celebrate the past and present people who have fought to make and keep our country free (thank you all who have served, are serving and will serve)
- the art of writing your name in sparklers is enhanced on this day
- the freedom i have as a woman in this country in one of the best in the entire world (though we still have a ways to go)
- though there are many things that need to be changed in this country, i am still grateful to have the privilege of being an american citizen
- s’mores (all that needs to be said)
- it always makes me think of summers at my grandparents’ lakehouse in iowa (1/4 of the family celebrating in our matching shirts circa 2008)!
no – we aren’t in middle school but rather college and looking quite young. please also note our ‘matching relationships bracelets.’ i made us these from the beginning our relationships until we got engaged! it was also during this trip (we had been dating for about a year) when he told my nana he was going to marry me. awww! sure enough, later that month – he proposed!
the “corn kings” are always the hit of the small town parade through panora, iowa – though apparently they hail from “jamaica, iowa”)!
- the excessive watermelon consumption
- fireworks (and thankfully our dog loves watching them)
- it’s a day to spend with family and friends celebrating america!
if you are american, what is your favorite part of this national holiday?