Healthy Pumpkin Bran Muffins
hoooray 50 day challengers! keep it up and keep the discussion going on Facebook!
i’ve been finding myself on pinterest a lot more lately so i can find healthy AND easy recipes since i have to fend for myself over here while my husband is gone (i am ready for my love and my cook to come back). i found a bunch of healthy muffin recipes but when i went to actually make them-i had the big let down of realizing i essentially have no baking instruments (ohhh fancy) since we moved. my dad got me a gift card to Michael’s arts and crafts store so i ventured that way to score some baking goods.
and guess what. they had a 5 piece essential baking set originally $30 ON SALE FOR $10! they had like 4 left so if you are in need of cake/cookie/brownie/cupcake pans…GO! my minimalist husband was thrilled when i told him (not).
i found a healthy pumpkin bran recipe from here and adapted it to fit my challenge. i loved that it had bran because i need more fiber in my life in delicious ways so this was perfect. i also don’t believe pumpkin is only for the fall and if you like it you should eat whenever you want! my new honey bear and i set to work.
it’s one of my favorite things to mix dry ingredients into the wet ones. it feels like the world is coming together and everything will be okay. this recipe would be just fine to mix together by hand but i LOVE using my Kitchen-Aid-especially because then my husband can’t say “you never even use that.” evidence below, Ravery!
it was one of our bigger ticket items that required a conversation around money, which can be hard but we found a good system you can read about here that we use!
they were scrumptious but WAY LESS sweeter that what i’m used to. ultimately that was the whole point of this recipe but if you are eating sugar-i know these will be stellar with some brown sugar in them.
following the theme of fancy, i opted to spread some ‘creamed honey’ on them which is my new favorite! i found some at Trader Joe’s and whoa-it’s good. please note that it’s “U.S. Grade Fancy.” i wish they gave those kind of grades in school because between my impromptu coconut dusting and purchasing this honey-i would hope to achieve this.
please also be impressed with me spending an hour on the below picture as i’m teaching myself photoshop without the assistance of asking my husband how to do something every 2 minutes!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (if you want it sweeter)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons egg whites or 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoons honey (i added 3 1/2 tablespoons but could do more if you aren’t doing the sugar)
- add nuts/chocolate chips/whatever your heart desires
- sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut if you’re feeling fancy
- preheat oven to 400℉ and spray the insides of a muffin pan with cooking spray or cute baking cups
- in a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and whisk until they all play nicely
- in another bowl combine the wet ingredients and mix well
- stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. fold in any mix-ins
- spoon the batter into the muffin pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.
1) do you have a favorite kind of muffin?
2) do you like ‘things’ or are you more of a minimalist?
3) ever had creamed honey before?