The #1 Thing You MUST Do Before Any Goal Setting!
i know everyone is still heavily focused on christmas approaching (and hanukkah is here) so you may not be in the goal setting mind frame yet. if you watched the video my husband and i did last week, i mentioned putting together some goal setting information specifically for people who get sort of freaked out at the prospect of setting them (like me).
before we get to the goal setting or new year’s resolution or whatever you call it so you like it more, we have to do one vital thing first.
this is something i had never done before this year but as my husband and i were sitting down to talk about goals for 2015, he suggested we do this. it’s simple yet incredibly profound for goal setting and life in general.
the #1 thing you must do before any goal setting occurs is that you have to write down what makes you happy.
sounds simple enough but i am telling you it changed something inside of me not only for future goal setting but existing in my every day life.
my struggle with depression started when i was 14 and it has gotten better in the last few years but “happiness” isn’t something that flows freely from me (yet). i continue to work hard on being less pessimistic and finding the good in the world and myself.
whether or not you plan to set any goals this year, i strongly encourage you to still make the list of what makes you happy. sit down with a pen and paper (there is something powerful in pen to paper) and think about what you last laughed at, what makes you smile, when the feeling on contentment washes over you and you feel happy. write that down.
a few of the things from my list that make me happy include:
- when my husband tells me he loves me and gives my hand an extra squeeze
- seeing a gorgeous sunset
- going for walks with my puppy
- sitting in the dining room and talking with my mom
- twinkly white lights
- driving through the mountains with my dad
- drinking a good latte or hot cocoa
- traveling to new places
- eating delicious food
- being in control of how i spend my time
- crawling under my cozy down comforter
- taking photos
- a bubbly bath with wine in one hand
- a good belly-laugh
- snuggling on the couch watching a movie with my husband
- doing crafts and watching harry potter alone and with friends
- having an empty seat next to me on an airplane
next, write down a few things that you think would make you a little happier
- getting back on a regular workout schedule
- breaking my addiction to sugar to be healthier
- being more financially stable each month
- having a better handle on my anxiety and mindset
when i reviewed my list and shared it my husband, i was amazed to see how many little things i get to do each day or week or month that make me happy. as cheesy as it sounds, i felt as though i had a mini-epiphany that for the most part, the life i’m living each day is making me happy and to not take that for granted.
make sure you also write down the few things that you think would make you happier because this will help to play into the goal setting. for the time being, grab a warm cup of cocoa, your favorite pen (we all should have one of those) and think about when you feel happiest.
1) how comfortable/enjoyable do you find goal setting or new year’s resolutions?
2) i’d love to hear a few things that make you happy!
3) what’s your favorite warm beverage of choice?